Thursday, September 27, 2007

My Christ, His Christ... Awww, Christ. Stop it.

Reed Walters JenaAn estimated 20,000 protesters marched in Jena, Lousiana last week in a scene that evoked the early years of the civil rights movement among those who either are too young to remember it or bought into the Uncle Jesse and Cousin Al show. Despite the hype, the legal system there functioned well today as a key participant in the group beating of a high school student went free on bail after a misbegotten attempt to try him as an adult. Reed Walters, the District Attorney prosecuting the case, claimed divine guidance for the townspeople, beating a local pastor to the punch.

"The only way that I believe that me or this community has been able to endure the trauma that has been thrust upon us is through the prayers of the Christian people who have sent them up in this community. I firmly believe and am confident of the fact that had it not been for the direct intervention of the Lord Jesus Christ last Thursday, a disaster would have happened.”

The Reverend Donald Sibley, a Jena pastor late out of the gate in the Jesus race, was outraged that Walters credited divine intervention for the community's responsible behavior. Sibley told CNN that Walters had insulted the protesters by making a false separation between "his Christ and our Christ."

"I can't diminish Christ at all. But for him to use it in the sense that because his Christ, his Jesus, because he prayed, because of his police, that everything was peaceful and was decent and in order — that's not the truth."

Noted Diety Jesus H. Christ, reached for comment at home, spoke with some passion about the unsanctioned use of his name. “I've been ignoring this freak show as hard as I can. Neither one of these clowns speaks for me, no more than those other two do - you know who I'm talking about. Those white kids and black kids are completely off the rails. I pity the parents, they have their hands full. These folks claiming to speak for me will have their own hands full when I catch up with them, trust me.”